Saturday, May 23, 2009

Suriname!

Hi friends and family, this is my first post about Suriname. I'll be there from May 31st to August 6th. Tyree will be joining me July 28th. I will be taking a class with Tulane and doing an internship. I'm posting several maps because the most frequent reaction I am getting when I say I'm going to Suriname is "Where?".



Please see the next post for a discussion of this map.

From the
CIA Factbook:

Capital City
: Paramaribo


Official Language
: Dutch

also spoken: English, Sranang Tongo, Caribbean Hindustani, Javanese


Ethnic Groups: Hindustani (also known locally as "East Indians"; their ancestors emigrated from northern India in the latter part of the 19th century) 37%, Creole (mixed white and black) 31%, Javanese 15%, "Maroons" (their African ancestors were brought to the country in the 17th and 18th centuries as slaves and escaped to the interior) 10%, Amerindian 2%, Chinese 2%, white 1%, other 2%

Religions
: Hindu 27.4%, Protestant 25.2% (predominantly Moravian), Roman Catholic 22.8%, Muslim 19.6%, indigenous beliefs 5%


Here's a really interesting article about languages in Suriname:
Babel of Tongues


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

Nice blog! I am afraid you are using the wrong map of Suriname. This is what the map should look like: http://www.suriname.nu/101alg/landkaart01.html The map you are using is like Guyana thinks it should be.

Best rgds

Heather said...

Thanks for the correction! I made another post about it, http://heatherleila3.blogspot.com/2009/05/suriname-border-confusion.html

Please tell me more about this border dispute. I'm very interested.