Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mardi Gras 2009


I've just come home from the Rex parade and so my Mardi Gras has officially ended. I don't think I could take it much more. It was so intense and so fun it was simply too much! Here are my favorite pictures. I ended up not taking many pictures I was so caught up in the moment, so these are the best I have. I was very happy with the throws this year.


I caught a total of 9 sets of glass beads, some of which I've already given away. Some are so pretty I will actually wear them during the year.


I was excited about the Krewe of Proteus because I wanted the seahorse beads. I like to take them apart and use them for art projects. They are also special to me because they are one of the many aquatic symbols associated with Iemanja, the Orixa of the sea. So I painted the outline of a seahorse and got showered with seahorses and medallions.
The Flambeaux are the men who carry kerosene lanterns in the parades. They used to have a practical purpose; before electricity they were needed to light up the floats. Now it seems their role is more symbolic, historic. You are supposed to give them money. They often wear masks, many times scary ones. I actually saw a carrier growl at the crowd.

Muses Zulu: Celebrating 100 Years

Rex
I caught nine. The sign worked.



2 comments:

Carly said...

OH! I want a cow!!! Funny :-) And I love the pics of the glass beads and seahorses too - you must have found a lot of glass beads on Monday and this morning! They are beautiful with the light shining through... again, it was so much fun to be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras but especially to be there with you! Thanks for everything. Can't wait to see you again!

Anonymous said...

As ususal, your pictures and comments are informative, unique and creative!!! You obviously had fun and it was fun looking at your blog. I think you've become a true New Orleanan!!! Next year I want to GO. Love ya.