Saturday, January 31, 2009

Vietnamese New Year in New Orleans East


New Orleans has a large Vietnamese population. This weekend, Mary Queen of Vietnam Catholic Church held a huge festival to celebrate Vietnamese New Year or Tet or Xuan. Read more in this article from the Times Picayune.



The festival was very, very fun. The food was good; I had ginger-beef kabobs and a plantain fritter. And of course there were spring rolls, rice noodles, even oysters. We were happy to find the prices of everything were very low. There was a dragon dance with fireworks; I apologize that my pictures aren't better because the costumes were amazing. (Think of my photographs as artistic rather than blurry!) There was also a pop singer, whose name I didn't learn. She was very good, very energetic, singing in Vietnamese and English. There were lots of children running around, spraying each other with silly string and playing games. I can't wait for next year!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everything is very open with a really clear clarification
of the challenges. It was definitely informative.
Your site is very helpful. Thanks for sharing!


Also visit my weblog; Read the Full Article