Wednesday, February 27, 2008
I guess we can use a blog for sad events too. Finnean died Sunday. Mom and I of course are sad, but it seems like the best thing; he couldn't walk anymore. Finnean was a great dog and neighborhood celebrity. Every where he went people told us what a beautiful dog he was, children wanted to pet him, other dogs could jump all over him and he wouldn't even bark. He was so gentle. Here are the last pictures we have with him.
Thursday, February 21, 2008
The farm where I keep Sameer (my horse) has a new generation of baby goats. They were so cute I started paying more attention to them than my own horse! But the cuteness only lasts so long; soon they will be just as ugly as their mothers. Kids seem to have flexible spines, they leap and twist around like rabbits. The adult goats seem stiff and unhappy with life.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
As my friends know, my appetite for celebrity news began in
5. Victoria Beckham Besides producing really awful music, Posh Spice has headed a very disturbing trend in motherhood. She has set the bar for post-partem bodies far beyond what most women could ever afford by combining caesarean sections with lipo-suction. A few weeks after giving birth she is seen in the papers with her pre-pregnancy body making it seem totally normal not to have an ounce of fat left. Unhealthy for her body, unhealthy for our body-image.
20% of babies in the Western world are now delivered by c-section.
4. Flavor Flav You may ask how a man could be a bad feminist, as most people don’t expect men to be feminists at all. But that’s our problem. We should expect everyone to uplift women. If Flav wants to be the center of his own minstrel show, whatever. But by encouraging the women on his show to fight, strip and involve themselves in a polygamist relationship, he has thrown them back decades.
3. Paris Hilton No explanation needed here.
2. Hugh Hefner Hef likes to say his magazine empowers women. His new show, the Girls Next Door, tries to normalize an industry that is full of women with low self-esteem and histories of sexual abuse. Anyone who says porm isn’t degrading is fooling themselves. The Girls Next Door aren’t degrading themselves by having to share an 80 year old man??
1. Kim Kardashian This girl doesn’t have a lot of star power, but she makes the top of my list for two reasons. She is riding a wave of fame and wealth given to her by her father, Robert Kardashian,OJ Simpson’s defense lawyer, known wife-beater and murderer. Then, after crying to the public about her sex-tape exposure, she goes and poses for Playboy. It seems she can’t decide who she wants to be.
What a confusing mess for little girls to grow up with! Doesn’t popular culture feel any responsibility at all? I know, I’m a little too naïve.