Friday, August 29, 2008

Te odio, Gustavo




Tyree and I didn't really want to evacuate for Gustav. Classes were canceled from Friday to Monday. If I were still in high school, that might actually make me excited. But, being in graduate classes I've paid a lot of money for...this is not cool. The Floridian in me doesn't even believe it's going to be a big deal. I've seen so many false alarms in my life! But everyone here took this VERY seriously. People went to Texas, Tennessee, Mississippi. It hadn't even passed Cuba and New Orleanians were convinced a disaster was coming. But you can't blame them. You could listen to strangers' conversations on the street and know exactly what they were talking about. Stress was in the air, infectious even. I feel most for the international students at my school. They had just arrived in this country and just a week later they were evacuated! They went to Jackson, to Ole' Miss. I think they had to sleep on the floor for what turned out to be a week-long stay.

Tyree and I decided to leave Friday night after an evening in the Quarter to see the Southern Decadence Festival.



Around 9 pm a hotel across the street from the streetcar stop announced on a loudspeaker that there was a mandatory evacuation and that all tourists would have to leave to hotel by 12 noon the next day. It was ominous. Tyree and I looked at each other and decided we would leave that very night. We arrived in Tallahassee the next morning at 7:30 am. It sucked.


No comments: