Friday, August 8, 2008

New Orleans Museum of Art

Yesterday, Tyree and I went to the Musuem of Art. We went there specifically for the Fernando Botero exibit, but we also really liked the third floor, which houses an ethnographic collection of Asian, African and Pre-Colombian art. I was really impressed with it. New Orleans is not some provincial capital- it is a metropolitan city. But still, I didn't expect to find such an amazing collection here. Here are a few things I liked:A fertility doll from Southern AfricaEthiopian crosses and script

A breastplate from India (I really like this one; the owner must have been a female warrior)

Sculpture Garden:
The beads in the tree were probably inspired by the mardi gras beads you see hanging in the trees all year long in New Orleans.Go there: the cost is free for Louisiana residents, which we are not yet, so it was $8 per person. Free parking. The musuem is located in the middle of City Park, at the end of Esplanade Avenue.

No comments: